The Rhythm! Discovery Center announces the following part-time position:
Visitor Services and Gift Store Coordinator
Rhythm! Discovery Center is hiring a part time Visitor Services and Gift Store Coordinator to assist with maintaining the gift store, running museum admission, and assisting with school and community programming. This position will provide friendly and courteous service to visitors of the Rhythm! Discovery Center while supporting general museum operations:
- Run admission counter, including, but not limited to, running cash register, selling merchandise, stocking gift shop, and general museum operations;
- With training, assist with school programming, including school tours for up to 40 children, and facilitate musical activities in the museum;
- Daily operational activities of the museum store, both physical and online, including purchasing and inventory control;
- Responsible for the opening and closing of the museum with other team members, as well as monitoring upkeep and maintenance, reporting significant issues to the proper team members;
- Provide assistance with set-up and staffing of special events, including venue rentals;
- Other related duties as needed, including gallery upkeep, and light cleaning.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES
- Works with Museum Manager to maintain procedures and policies related to the day-to-day activities of retail sales and front-line staff to ensure the efficient daily operation of the museum store and admission desk;
- Welcomes and orients visitors and proactively promotes exhibits, programs, special activities, and memberships;
- Maintains a well-informed, working knowledge of the exhibitions, programs and services available by R!DC in order to communicate to the general public;
- Investigates and resolves customer/visitor service issues related to museum experience, and involves Museum Manager when necessary;
- Oversees internet sales functions including maintaining online store product information and inventory;
- Orders all store supplies with approval from Museum Manager;
- Directs annual physical inventory as well as periodic cycle counts with Director of Finance;
- After sufficient training, leads school tours when needed and facilitates drum circles for family and school groups.
- Ability to work with museum staff and the public in a courteous, helpful, and efficient manner; problem solve and exercise good judgment and diplomacy;
- Skilled at working independently; while asking questions when needed;
- Accurately perform basic bookkeeping tasks; cash handling, and reconciliation skills;
- Demonstrated customer relations skills including resolution of employee/customer problems;
- Comfort with public speaking and demonstration as needed for tours and programs;
- Willingness to learn basic percussion skills, with assistance from staff, as needed for programming;
- Ability to sit for several hours at a time and lift object up to 30 lbs;
- Ability to handle quickly changing atmospheres within the museum, particularly in regards to high noise levels.
- Some experience in performance arts;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience working with children and families.
28 hours per week. Fridays, Saturdays, Mondays, from 9:30am-5:00pm and Sundays from 11:30am-5:00pm required. Availability during holidays and expanded availability during the second week of November preferred. Expected starting date of June 2022.
Hourly – $15/Hour
Please submit a résumé and cover letter via email to:
Elizabeth Quay, Museum Manager & Registrar
Applications will be considered until position is filled
Applications will be paper-screened and those exhibiting superior qualifications will be invited to interview. No phone calls please.