The Rhythm! Discovery Center announces the following part-time position:
Visitor Services and Programs Coordinator
Rhythm! Discovery Center is the world’s foremost drum and percussion museum; founded by the Percussive Arts Society in 2009. Rhythm! features unique, interactive exhibits highlighting a rich collection of historic artifacts and hands-on percussion instruments. Drawing upon cultures from around the world, Rhythm! offers an incomparable experience in exploring the universality of rhythm and percussion, and its role in shaping communication, music, art, performance and society. Rhythm! also offers a diverse array of educational programming designed to supplement its interactive exhibits, providing a place for everyone to explore first-hand the world of percussion.
This position will provide friendly and courteous service to visitors of the Rhythm! Discovery Center while supporting general operations:
- Run admission counter, including, but not limited to, running cash register, selling merchandise, stocking gift shop, and general museum operations;
- Facilitates community and school programs, including drum circles, tours, and special events;
- Responsible for the opening and closing of the museum, as well as monitoring upkeep and maintenance ensuring that facilities are clean and fully functional for visitors;
- Assist with facilitating weekend birthday parties;
- Provide assistance with set-up and staffing of special events, including venue rentals;
- Other related duties as needed, including gallery upkeep, and general maintenance.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Works with Museum Manager to maintain procedures and policies related to the day-to-day activities of retail sales and front-line staff to ensure the efficient daily operation of the museum store and admission desk;
- Welcomes and orients visitors and proactively promotes exhibits, programs, special activities, and memberships;
- Supports the Education Manager in creating, implementing, and evaluating community and school programs;
- Maintains a well-informed, working knowledge of the exhibitions, programs and services available by R!DC in order to communicate to the general public;
- Investigates and resolves customer/visitor service issues related to museum experience, and involves Museum Manager when necessary;
- Follows cash handling procedures, safety procedures, and procedures designed to secure the store from cash shortage or inventory shrinkage;
- Ability to work with museum staff, volunteers, and the general public in a courteous, helpful, and efficient manner; problem solve and exercise good judgment and diplomacy at all times;
- Skilled at working independently; demonstrating the highest levels of integrity, flexibility, and initiative;
- Accurately perform basic bookkeeping tasks; cash handling and reconciliation skills;
- Demonstrated customer relations skills including resolution of employee/customer problems;
- Ability to sit for several hours at a time and lift object up to 30 lbs;
20 hours per week. Saturdays from 9:30am-5:00pm required. 2 additional weekdays will be scheduled, mornings and early afternoon preferred. Availability during holidays preferred.
Hourly – $13/Hour
Please submit a résumé, cover letter, and three references via email to:
Elizabeth Quay, Museum Manager & Registrar
Applications will be considered until position is filled
Applications will be paper-screened and those exhibiting superior qualifications will be invited to interview. No phone calls please.